Move up or move out? Career advice please…
How do you know when it’s the right time to stay, get promoted, or leave an organization? Do you move up or move out?
When I reach this point in any job I ask myself a few questions:
- When was the last time I felt excited or energized to go to work/execute a project/visit a donor/etc?
- Am I getting the personal development support I need from my leadership?
- If so, how do I ask their thoughts on my next move?
- If not, is that something I can improve?
- Do I still feel like I’m making a difference in what I’m doing day-to-day?
- What, exactly, would it cost me to move somewhere else?
- Think in terms of relationships, opportunities, moving expenses, etc.
- What advice do the people I trust most in my life have for me?
Once I’ve taken a good amount of time to honestly answer all of these questions to myself, I’m always clear on what my next step should be.
justinlferrell Answered question February 17, 2023